Abdo gets life for his 2011 Ft. Hood bomb plot
By American Security Council Foundation ASCF August 15, 2012
Region: North America
Naser Jason Abdo, the 22-year-old U.S. Army private who was convicted for plotting an explosives attack on fellow soldiers at a restaurant near Ft. Hood in 2011, will spend the rest of his life in federal prison, said federal prosecutors.
A federal judge in Waco, TX, imposed on Aug. 10 two consecutive life prison sentences for Abdo’s attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and other weapons charges. In addition, Abdo has to serve a total mandatory consecutive 60 years’ imprisonment for one count of attempted murder of officers or employees of the U.S., two counts of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a federal crime of violence, and one count of possession of a weapon in furtherance of a federal crime of violence, said prosecutors.
Abdo was convicted of all charges against him last May in his plan to attack the restaurant near Ft. Hood in Killeen, TX. Abdo had said he was seeking justice for Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq in his planned assault. Ft. Hood had been the scene of a deadly 2009 attack by former Army Major Nidal Hasan that killed 13 and wounded 29.
According to trial testimony, on July 27, 2011, Abdo tried to create and detonate a bomb in a cold-blooded plot to kill members of the U.S. armed services and planned to shoot survivors of the explosion with a semi-automatic pistol.
The Killeen Police Department arrested Abdo on July 27, 2011 at a local hotel. At the time of his arrest, the defendant, he was absent without leave (AWOL) soldier from Fort Campbell, KY, was in possession of the handgun, and had instructions on how to build a bomb as well as bomb making components.
Source: GSN News